Recently I took my own advice and wrote a list of the best things I’d ever done. It’s a nice thing to do for yourself – to remind you of all the things (big and small!) you’ve done to improve your life.
When life gets busy, it’s easy to get down on yourself and feel like you’re not making progress. So, it’s good to take stock from time to time to actually recognise all the cool stuff you’re actually doing, and have done, for yourself.
So, presenting, in no particular order, 21 of the best things I’ve ever done.
I hope it inspires you to think about all the ways you’re looking out for you, too.
- Invested in a super firm mattress.
- Gave birth to my son
- Started treating my office like it was a real room that was worthy of my best treasures, not the “spare room made into an office”.
- Got remote control blinds. Now I actually use my blinds!
- Got tiles and put them on my keys, Michael’s keys, in my wallet, and on our remotes and never lost anything again (for my iPhone /iPad /MacBook I use ‘find my iPhone’ app)
- Took care of my financials and invested in a good accountant, financial planner and real estate adviser
- Got rid of my pillow for sleeping- I sleep flat on back and it’s done wonders for my back and neck.
- Splurged on annual holidays – I’ve realised that I need adventure in my life.
- Set aside ‘me time’ every night to read in bed (a challenge with a newborn, but I do my best!)
- Learnt to admit my fallibilities – I’m crap at managing people, I always think I’m right, I’m stubborn, I find it hard to see things from other people’s point of view. I know these things about me and so now I can work on improving them, figure out ways for my team and I to work better.
- Accepted the fact that I need and want a coffee every morning!!
- Competed in the Kona Ironman
- Starting drinking fire tonic.
- Said NO a hell of a lot more times than I said yes! My guide to saying No here.
- Jumped off a cliff at in Hawaii (The southernmost point of the US)
- Learnt to freedive
- Stopped trying to be trendy at the airports and went with what was comfy (sneakers, yoga pants, singlet top, hoodie)
- Started yoga
- Prioritised stuff that makes me feel good – aka surfing!
- Made practising gratitude a daily habit.
- Added ‘yet’ to my self talk when trying new things. More on this here.
What would you add to your best things list? Let me know in the comments below.