was successfully added to your cart.

After the fire nearly five years ago, I had to learn how to do everything again—everything from walking and talking to eating and dressing. I’d always been super active and my self-esteem was tied up with what my body could do, so that was pretty rough to deal with. When the doctor told me I would never run again, I remember thinking “Oh yeah? I’ll show you—I’m going to do an IRONMAN one day!”

The funny thing was, I didn’t fully understand what an IRONMAN entailed. All I knew was that it was an incredible physical and mental challenge, and if I could achieve it, I would prove to everyone especially myself that I was fitter, faster and stronger than before the fire.

Every day my Mum and my partner Michael would come into the hospital and get me out of bed saying “come on Turia, time for your IRONMAN training.” Even if it was a short walk down the corridor or taking on a few stairs, it was always a step closer to that big goal.

Throughout my recovery, I’ve stayed focused on that goal. Initially, of course, I had to get back to a base level of fitness—long walks and rides, half marathons, that kind of thing. In 2014, I decided it was time to start training specifically for IRONMAN, and I knew in early 2016 that I was ready to give it a red hot go.

After finishing IRONMAN Australia in May, my first IRONMAN, I was filled with absolute elation. I remember feeling so thrilled and really grateful I was able to prove to myself that I could achieve anything I set my mind to.

On top of that, the whole IRONMAN community was just so welcoming and supportive, with everyone cheering each other on. I love how it feels like you’re part of this big family—it’s something I’ll never forget.

The IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii is like the Holy Grail of triathlon—everyone you talk to says how gruelling and intense it is. When I found out I’d been invited to compete at Kona, I felt equal parts totally pumped and completely terrified! It’s going to be a massively hectic challenge, and I’m pretty nervous about the heat.

Because 65 percent of my body surface has been burned, it’s really hard for my skin to do its job in regulating my body temp. So, if anyone’s handy with DIY plumbing let me know! Thinking a little shower coming from my handlebars should do the trick, ha ha.

Seriously, though, it’s like a dream come true for me and I’m so humbled to have the chance to compete alongside so many IRONMAN champions—bring it on!

Turia xx

Join the discussion No Comments

• Joesph says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Best Site Good Work can prednisone 40 mg delayed periods “You and others are smarter than I am about what can be done when but I think it is worth reconnecting with legal authorities to determine if there is enough flexibility and access to information for the NCAA to get on with an assessment of issues at Penn State.
    warfarin inr normal range While the S&P financial index has risen for the pastnine quarters, it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far thisyear, up 6 percent compared with the benchmark index’s 6.7percent rise

• Frankie says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I’d like to take the job where to purchase alli in canada Laidlaw went close to extending his tally with a penalty from inside his own half. The man of the match found the woodwork for a third time but the ball bounced back out from the crossbar on this occasion.
    eliwell ic902 manual espaol This could be the most consequential moment in Barack Obama’s presidency. With his credibility as a leader at stake, he is asking Congress to authorize an attack on Syria because the Damascus regime allegedly used chemical weapons in an ongoing civil war. But so far, his campaign for approval has not been going well.
    medrol blood pressure Officials were holding the plane in Niamey so crew members and passengers could be interviewed, and investigators in Ouagadougou were also looking into “the conditions in which the passengers boarded,” Labo said.
    permethrin 5 cream 60gm tube She added that recent high-level talks between Iran and theU.S., lingering uncertainties over the U.S. budget and risingoil production in the United States and Canada pointed to weakeroil fundamentals and would limit any gains in prices.
    220 mg nsaid “The current iPhone portfolio is underperforming and Apple is at risk of being trapped in a pincer movement between rival 3-inch Android models at the low-end and 5-inch Android models at the high-end,” said Neil Mawston, the research firm's executive director.

• Mathew says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Do you need a work permit? cymbalta withdrawal uk James took his lumps throughout the game, a bracing sight for the home crowd. He was jeered every time he touched the ball, and then both Garnett and Pierce hammered him on several moves toward the basket. The Nets bodied up to James in the lane, as they must do in their home opener on Nov. 1 — when facing Miami will be much, much harder. After scoring on one cute scoop play in the third quarter, James walked to the Net bench and teased Kidd about the basket.
    nizagara review Jebb agrees, but with reservations. “It can undermine the concept of dietary variety – one type of food alone will not keep you healthy, we need a wide mix.” They are often expensive, she says, and at a time when many of us are struggling to balance the household budget. Rather than buying pricey pomegranates and blueberries, “people may be better off spending the same amount of money on twice as much of cheaper foods”.
    remeron withdrawal insomnia Cyber criminals have used Zeus to infect hundreds ofmillions of PCs since the virus first surfaced more than fiveyears ago, according to Don Jackson, a senior securityresearcher with Dell SecureWorks.
    buy sumatriptan 100 mg There are signs in that letter of how Vincent — who tended to make multiple and sometimes unexpected connections with everything he saw — was daydreaming as he looked at this landscape. He linked the scenery with the Middle Ages.
    misoprostol for sale ehingen Symmons Roberts has written of his admiration for Donne, and he also blurs the boundary between the romantic and religious. A yearning to speak appears in “Open thou our lips” (the title is taken from psalm 50), in which a barking dog and an unanswered phone seem to be calling out “a word we must not say”. The poet is tempted to name the word but keeps his counsel, leaving us wondering if this is an ex-lover or God.

• Allen says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

The line’s engaged famvir online uk Wichita, Kansas-based Koch Industries is a refining andpetrochemical company with annual revenue of $115 billion. Italso operates pipelines that transport crude, refined products,ethanol, natural gas liquids and chemicals. Koch units also makebuilding products, fertilizer and other industrial products.
    gabapentin 800 mg street price Earnings on the whole have topped expectations, with 67percent of the 446 companies in the S&P 500 that had reportedearnings so far beating estimates. About 54 percent of companieshave reported revenue above expectations, exceeding the averageof the past four quarters, but below the historical average.
    alli where to buy in canada Despite the recent declines, buyers have come in as the S&Papproached its 50-day moving average of 1,679.78. The movingaverage represents a measure of the near-term trend in themarket and often investors will buy in clusters at such levels.
    metoprolol er generic drug Yes there is but there are a few things that you need to know first. When you use iTunes to create an audio CD from a playlist, it is burned using industry standard CD-A formatting so will be playable on any CD and most DVD players. However, due to fundamental differences in the way DVDs are structured, and the way disc burning software and DVD players work, you cannot put CD-A recordings on to a blank DVD. If you want to put your playlist, or lot of music files onto a blank DVD it has to be in the form of a data disc, and if the music files are in mp3 format, then they may be playable on some, though by no means all DVD players. The procedure is basically the same as for creating an audio CD; just select the Data Disc/DVD option when you create the disc.
    does rogaine require prescription canada The average Thames Water bill is about 354 pounds, which itsays is among the lowest in the country. Ofwat will make a finaldecision in early November and any permitted price increaseswill take effect from April.

• Branden says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

In tens, please (ten pound notes) buy abilify cheap On Mother’s Day in 2005, over dinner, Jamie asked me about my writing. “Do you think you’ll ever write about it?” At the time, I shrugged, but I had already realised: I needed to write about it, felt compelled to write about it. And, finally, in 2006, I began to zero in on the man I had been avoiding, whose existence I had been unable to face, afraid of what such an encounter might bring.
    mucinex d maximum strength target PARIS, July 29 (Reuters) – The advertising giant to beformed from the merger of Publicis and Omnicom may resolve any clash between its French and U.S. arms by takingon a more American identity, some industry observers said onMonday.
    prevacid acid reflux medicine He said: “There has not been an explanation as to why I was not allowed to fly over French, Portuguese or Italian territory – and later Spain, because we have permission to land in the Canary Islands.”
    solpadeine soluble dosage It remains to be seen what Xiaomi’s plans for its business strategy are now that Barra, Google’s former Vice President of product management for Android, is on board to head its international expansion, but we might find out soon: Xiaomi’s next big press conference, at which it is expected to launch its latest product lineup, is on September 5.
    buy ventolin online Reese, who helped build two Super Bowl winners, deserves one more round of free agency and another draft and one more season. Still, he seemed to forget the Giants stumbled to the finish line last year with those one-sided losses to the Falcons (34-0) and Ravens (33-14) in late December, because he put together a team that just picked up where 2012 left off.

• Barton says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

This is your employment contract can you ask your doctor to prescribe clomid “We want to thank everyone for their prayers and condolences during this difficult time for our family,” the statement read. “Dean (The Dream) Meminger touched the hearts of so many on and off the basketball court. Through basketball and education, he helped countless people around the country receive scholarships, high school and college admissions and even employment.”
    can you buy erythromycin over the counter uk Fear that the Fed will scale back stimulus spending next month has rattled Wall Street of late, with the Dow industrials last week marking their worst weekly run of the year. Political uncertainty in Italy dragged down a broad European stock index.
    pregnitude multiples “If someone loses one child, you can imagine how devastated their life would be,” said Wazir, who received $550,000 in condolence payments from the U.S. government, out of $980,000 paid in all. His son, now 5, “misses everyone. He hasn’t forgotten any of them.”
    cheap cardura According to the poll, 22 percent of U.S. adults think of themselves as supporters of the movement, down 10 points from the apex of Tea Party popularity in 2010, when they influenced enough elections to return House control to Republicans.
    obagi tretinoin cream usp 0.05 “For two years, since it was formed, there has been abattle over whether it would be fully formed and become a partof the landscape, the executive branch landscape, defending therights of Americans against predatory practices,” Merkley toldreporters. “That question is answered today.”

• Douglas says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Who would I report to? enalapril-hctz 5-12.5 mg tablets The Al-Jazeera journalists’ arrest was part of a broad crackdown against Islamists in which hundreds have been killed and thousands arrested following the ouster of Morsi
    trazodone hydrochloride side effects alcohol The conflict comes as two countries, along with negotiators from five other states that are part of the tentative deal, prepare for a final round of talks aimed at codifying the interim bargain in a written agreement ahead of a June 30 deadline.